When your client expresses doubt about whether or not they can achieve a goal or feel disappointment about a perceived failure, you can help them break through these barriers and help them set a clear intention by re-framing and re-defining how they think and feel about it using these 10 questions.
- What did you envision in the past? (What was your original goal or desire?)
- How did you expect the vision to manifest? (What did they expect it to look like?)
- What outcome did you actually experience?
- What feelings did you feel because of that outcome?
- What did you label yourself because of the feelings you had about the outcome? (“I am a failure, a loser, unlucky, undeserving, stupid”?)
- What lessons can you learn from the outcome you experienced?
- On what outcome can you now focus? (Help them identify a positive outcome.)
- What can you do differently, right now, to bring about a different outcome(Thoughts, Feelings, or Behavior)?
- How do you feel now that you have a new vision and now understand the lessons associated with your previous experience?
- What can you believe about yourself now as you focus on the new vision with these new feelings? (“I am deserving, successful, capable, resilient”).
Credit: Janis R. Cohen, LCSW, THE INTUITIVE THERAPIST, http://www.janiscohen.com
(From the NASW GA Conference 2017)