I don’t especially like fish–particularly canned tuna.  It is strange that sometimes I am “in the mood” for tuna salad.  I had just such a mood the other Saturday so I whipped up some tuna salad taking care to minimize the fishy taste I don’t like.  I came up with a very good recipe so I will share it now!

Mix the following ingredients and refrigerate for at least one hour for flavors to blend.

1 drained large 12 ounce can of all white, albacore tuna packed in water–I give the drained juice to my cat for a special treat which she loves

1/4-1/2 cup sweet salad pickles (sweet relish is a fine substitute, I don’t measure so I am guessing on the amount)

1/2 medium onion chopped (sweet onion), if the onion is especially hot you may want to use less (a sweet onion you can use more)

2 boiled eggs chopped (I cook two extra for my husband to eat–he loves boiled eggs)

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (I would use the same amount if using regular table salt.  Some people may prefer more salt.)

1/4 teaspoon restaurant style pepper (This kind of pepper goes a long way and I often over-pepper with it by mistake.  If you are using regular pepper start with 1/4 and go up to 1/2 if you want.)

1 Tablespoon lemon juice (this adds more liquid so be careful when you add mayonnaise so it won’t be too loose)

1/4 teaspoon dill weed (added much to the overall flavor)

1 large scoop of light mayonnaise (using large plastic baking spatula–the kind you use for scrapping the side of the mixing bowl)

(I’m guessing the mayonnaise was about 1/4 cup or more–start with 1/4 cup and add more to get the consistency you want).

Boiled eggs:  I put my eggs in a medium-sized pot with cold salty water, place the pot on the stove on high, and time exactly 10 minutes beginning when it starts to boil.  I cool the eggs as quickly as possible (using ice) which leaves the center a beautiful yellow.  I took the first picture (the one without the crackers) about 30 minutes after I made it so it had not completely set–it looks a little loose but it firmed up as it sat in the refrigerator longer.  I took the second picture 1 hour after I made it.

Leave a Reply