Ways to protect yourself emotionally when you can’t physically leave the situation.
- Imagine a barrier between yourself and the person or the situation;
- Focus on something else in the environment;
- Mentally repeat a phrase that helps (such as “I can handle this”);
- Breathe as deeply as you can without being obvious;
- Picture yourself surrounded by protection (guards, angels, animals and friends);
- Mentally surround yourself with a strong, comforting or protective color;
- Mentally surround yourself with a force field or supernatural shield