STRATEGIES FOR OVERCOMING PERFECTIONISM (A FEAR OF NOT BEING GOOD ENOUGH)
SHARE YOUR OWN STRATEGIES IN THE COMMENTS
- Tell yourself and others, “I try not to be perfect because it makes people nervous.”
- Send an e-mail or letter out (nothing too important) and leave a miss-spelled word or grammatical error.
- Wear socks that don’t really match (with pants).
- Don’t clean or straighten up your house when causal friends come over.
- Pick one area you feel inadequate in and decide that’s just one of your weaknesses you can live with (and laugh at yourself).
- Leave your bed un-made on some days.
- Leave some dishes in the sink over night.
- Go to bed without taking a bath one night (not on a sweaty day).
- Think of someone who is way worse than you!
- Wear something you still have in your closet from the 80’s (you’ve been saving it because you love it and won’t wear it because it’s not in style).
- Give yourself one day a month (once a week would be better but I don’t want you to push you over the edge) to just do nothing productive at all (not a work day please).
- When your in-laws (for example) visit, leave something out in plain sight (or in the front of the refrigerator) you KNOW they wouldn’t approve of! (After all, you ARE an adult aren’t you?)
- Send a thank-you note to an elderly person (like a grandmother or great-aunt) and do not use black or blue ink.
- Better yet, send one of those pre-printed thank you notes and only sign your name!
- If just reading these suggestions makes you cringe or tense up, then you definitely have a problem and may need professional help!
- Wear white after Labor day.
- Mow the grass on Sunday.
- Post a picture on your blog that has a composition error (like your own shadow for example)